Monday, April 25, 2011

Kitchen Organization

  • Whether or not you live in a small space, it always feels good to utilize your space well. I live in a very small home and have a tiny kitchen, but somehow it always ends up being the place where people like to hang out when they are over. I had to find ways to make everything fit, and with only 4 regular sized cabinets, 2 drawers, and a minimal pantry, I had to do something to make it all work. I found this great idea in one of the amazing home magazines available - use chair rail around your kitchen to hang things up. We made these chair rails by getting some wood trim and screwing in some pegs (dowels cut to the same size). As you can see I was able to hang some baskets, where I keep wine corks, paper, pens, etc, I hung up my pots and pans and since they are metal I use them as a way to display photos of my family with magnets (that I also made). Another organization tool are these awesome shelves my husband made to hang on the chair rail, where I keep my vitamins and spices.


    Another tip to saving space is to go to Ikea and get the book shelves that have the supports above the shelf (not below). The supports also work as book ends so things won't fall of the shelf. I hung them right below the ceiling, and above my kitchen window. This is where I keep my large spice containers, and dried goods. You can use any container for flour, beans, pasta, etc, I found a lot of mine at Bob's Red Mill, but when I find I need another, I look around for a clear plastic container such as an old almond container from Costco, or you can even keep your rice in an old clean and dry milk jug. If you use clear plastic you can lable it with a sharpie and if you later use the container for something else, take a dry erase marker and scribble on the sharpie words then wipe with a dry paper towel and you viola, it is clean to re-label as something else.


 Another quick tip: Go to your local craft store, there you can find sheets of metal typically used for making magnetic calendars, games, or displays. Measure and cut a strip to the size you like that fits on the front of your cabinet doors in your kitchen (also this is an excellent way to sharpen your scissors, if you don't want to try it or it is too hard to cut with your scissors, sharpen them by taking tin foil and folding it several times and cut into small strips, this not only will sharpen them but you can take the foil strips and put them in your garden, it will reflect the sun on your plants and also prevent slugs from getting to your crop). If you can't cut it with kitchen scissors, then use a ruler and score with a blade over and over until you are able to bend and break it apart. Then cover with your favorite paper that matches your kitchen. You now have another magnetic and cute surface in your kitchen (and/or bathroom) to hang recipes when you are cooking and they won't get gunky from your ingredients, or seeds you need to remember to plant, or notes to your family, etc.

  • If you like to go to antique stores you may find those old wood coke bottle carriers, you may think they are cute but don't know what you would do with them, well....they are excellent for organizing spices (Penzy's is my favortie spice store, and you can also get the perfect spice jars at Cost Plus, or be a good earth steward and reuse old vitamin bottles or the like - well washed and dried - for your spices). You can also hang it up in your bathroom to organize your make up, floss, small perfume bottles, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment